BOTOX® in Dentistry
August 20, 2018 | BOTOX® | The Office of The Palisades Dentists
BOTOX® is a tried-and-true treatment for patients who want to smooth facial wrinkles caused by constant muscle contraction. It works by temporarily halting muscle movements that produce creases in the face, resulting in a more youthful and approachable appearance. However, BOTOX® is much more versatile than most people assume. It is known for its cosmetic facial rejuvenation effects, but few know about the dental advantages of the product. The use of BOTOX® to alleviate conditions that are caused by stress, anxiety, or tension is becoming more popular with dental practitioners. When injected into overactive facial muscles, it can relax them for up to six months, giving patients the relief they desire.
What BOTOX® Can Improve
BOTOX® can be injected into various areas of the face to relax the muscles and provide relief from a range of bothersome conditions, including the following:
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMD): Those who suffer from headaches, earaches, or jaw pain may have a temporomandibular joint disorder or TMD.
- Bruxism: Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can occur while a patient is awake or when they are asleep. Some patients do not realize they grind their teeth at night until their dentist notices significant tooth wear.
- Dentures: While dental implants are the recommended approach to replacing missing teeth, most patients still opt for dentures. Dentures are removable false teeth that can be challenging to become accustomed to. When a patient has overactive facial muscles, wearing dentures can be even more uncomfortable or even painful.
Is BOTOX® Safe?
It is essential to understand the potential risks associated with a treatment before deciding to undergo any procedure. BOTOX® is a reliable and safe choice for men and women who desire its cosmetic or medical benefits. Complications that occur after treatment are rare and tend to be mild. Temporary side effects may include:
- Temporary muscle weakness
- Redness at the injection site
- Dry mouth
To find out if BOTOX® can fulfill your dental goals or for more information about this service, please call the Palisades Dentists at 310.459.2303.